Friday, November 20, 2009

Jetlag

The trip back home from Manila was, as expected, very tiring. Here I am on a Friday 1:30 AM wide awake. I better make good use of my time so I am continuing my writing on my short visit to the Philippines.
Before I left the U.S. I promised myself that all I would carry back with me going home will be a maximum of ONE check in luggage - THAT'S ALL.
On my last day in Manila, as I was packing my stuff, I begin to realize that aside from my hand carry bag I have TWO humongous maletas ( borrowed from Erich & Cecil) packed with tupigs, Boy Bawangs, queso de bola, Philippine Tatler Magazines, books, Salazar Bakery original hopia, ube jam from Good Shepherd in Baguio, ensaymada melts, pieces of clothes and 3 lbs of canned cooked longganiza Alaminos.
Imbagak pay-yen idta balay mi nga adda longganiza nga awit ko. Dinner was ready then upon my arrival.
LAX was my port of entry. I did all of the right things. I declared all of my food and non-food stuffs. Alas and behold - the Customs people seized my longganisa. Bawal kano ta baboy - no manok nano ket mabalin. No amount of charm or exchange of news on Pacquiao worked. The longganisa would have to be enjoyed by another Filipino.
Jim was very disappointed. Erich added one small can of the Ulam King brand of lechon paksiw in one of my bags. Nakalusot ito. But what is it compared to the garlicky longganisa which can be crispy when fried tostado? Dont' forget the suka for sawsawan and the fried rice with chopped green onions.


No comments:

Post a Comment