Monday, November 16, 2009

More on Manila and Quezon City

I am on my last day here in the Philippines. So far I have posted less than five blog entries. I will complain about the speed of their broadband wireless - that will be my primary excuse. The real reason though is I have been spending so much time just gallivanting and eating (I had the best turon yesterday from an ambulant vendor) by the time I get back home time to re-charge my camera. Here are some more pics though.
In my two weeks of stay here I have visited the Sto. Domingo Church twice on a Monday. No, not to reminisce Mar Roxas-Korina Sanchez wedding, but just to hear mass and listen to the hollow drone of the priest. I had this wish then of being married at Sto. Domingo Church. Ang haba ng pwedeng pag-march-han on the way to the altar. Enough time to show off your gown and to mag-muni-muni kung talagang payag ako to commit for better or for worst (joke only tatay).
Both Manila and Quezon City never got rid of the squatters problem. Pagpasok pa lang sa Congressional Ave sa may bridge are makeshift homes or dampa. According to Jojo, my ever faithful alalay, these people used to live under the bridge. Nang tumaas ang tubig due to Ondoy, kailangang i-likas ang mga ito. The problem was, these people literally sat/squatted on the closest high ground which was over the bridge.
The sad part is the whole situation is being capitalized on by both the squatting people and the politician wannabe(s). Remember 2010 is election time. Nagkalat na naman ang mga nanghihingi ng boto and these hapless(?) people both get to manipulate and be manipulated. By the way, what's up with Edu Manzano for Vice-President?

This is another part of Quezon City - San Francisco Del Monte. Umapaw din ang tubig rito. As usual, may mga shanties din sa ilalim ng tulay. The people left temporarily at ang mga ito ay nag-sibalikan din. I used to pass by this bridge on the way to and from school at Siena College during my grade school days. Dati-rati, medyo malinis-linis pa ang tubig na dumadaloy sa ilalim ng tulay at walng taong tumitira rito. Ngayon, only a portion of the river can even be called a river. The whole area is packed with basura.

Depressing to the max ika nga. Pero, typical Pinoy. Hahanap ng katawa-tawa para medyo matakpan ang lungkot. I saw this taxi cab on the street. Take a look at its number - 555. Parang marka ng sardinas na 555. Tama nga- ang taxi na ito ay sing-tibay ng latang sardinas. Akmang-akma ang numero niya to describe its cosmetic semblance with the 555 sardines.

No comments:

Post a Comment