Saturday, November 28, 2009

Manila Travelogue

I finally recovered from my jetlag and slowly packed the leftovers from Thanksgiving dinner. This particular Thanksgiving celebration took a backseat as far as excitement and kwentos are concerned since everyone was more interested with my stories about Manila than anything else.

I went through Quiapo and I am now on my way to Plaza Lawton. To the left is a picture taken of the other side of Quiapo towards Binondo. If I am not mistaken, one of the buildings standing is Feati University - Papa's Alma Mater. I was impressed with the QUiapo river. Malinis sa tingin ko at wala masyadong basura. Pero hindi ibig sabihin niyan na pwede uli maligo yong mga bata roon.
As the car goes through the bridge I had a good view of the Metropolitan Theatre. Kalunos-lunos ang lagay nito. This is one building that could have been rehabbed or restored. I had the chance of watching a play in this theatre from way back then. There were restoration plans then - I guess these never pushed through.
Umabot na kami sa Lawton and namangha ako sa Post Office Building at ito ay na-maintain ng pamahalaan. I was once a reviewer of the Performance Appraisal System of this government entity. Dito na siguro ako nakakita at naka-meet ng napakaraming kartero.
It was almost noontime per the Big Ben of Manila - yong malaking relo sa City Hall.
Remember yong sa ilalim na daan ay pupunta sa Taft Ave at yong sa ibabaw na daan ay papunta sa Pier? I remember those days na matindi ang traffic dito since andiyan pa yong mga bus na papunta sa Laguna, yong mga jeep at yong mga Metro Aide na walang ginagawa kundi nakatayo lamang.
We are now at the heart of Manila noontime. I remember where I ate that day - Hizon's at Mabini. Masarap at malinamnam. More of that next entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment