Sunday, January 4, 2009

Learning To Fly

One thing good with hanging out with one's kids is learning and appreciating their grooves (ika nga). Though we are a couple of years apart, my boys and I have a couple of common denominators, one particular subject we enjoy is music.
Both boys are into classical music but most of the time they have their world surrounded by these people - ColdPlay, John Mayer, RKelley. One particular musician we all like is RKelley. He has a specific song that I can very much relate to - I Believe I Can Fly; which brings me to my first-day-of-the-year post this morning.
I am attaching a letter that Jim and I wrote in connection with James' application as a foreign exchange student to France next year.



If I can see it, then I can do it
If I just believe it, there's nothing to it
I believe I can fly
I believe I can touch the sky
I think about it every night and day
Spread my wings and fly away
I believe I can soar
I see me running through that open door
I believe I can fly


On his own volition, without seeking our permission, this 16 year old boy applied to be an exchange student. We eventually found out later on. Since he was needing a letter from the parents, he eventually informed us of his plans.

My initial reaction was "ugh.. where was my right to say yes or no?" I felt stripped off my ability as a parent to put my stamp pad on my children's lives. Was I not supposed to be making decisions too? Apparently not. It was very daunting for me to finally realize that I really have no hold on what happens to my kids. We, as parents, do help in shaping up how they become. These "shaping ups" do bear fruits when they grow up. Fruits, either good enough to eat or rotten bad to the core to throw away.
Jim does put it nicely. We, as parents, are mere caretakers of our children. The time that these boys spend with us are just stopovers (kasla istasyon) of their journey to life.
Our recommendation letter summed it all. We can not hold him back. He needs to " spread his wings and fly". Kasla nasapa unay.. kunak met. Mabalin ngata nga "later on" laeng ngen? We still want to savor his presence as a kid here at home. Nakaro nga sadot na no pinag-linis itti kwarto na itti aramidin. Ngem nakaro nga ga-get na met uray saan nga maturog itti Sabado no ag-ay-ayam itti x-box with his friends.
Siguro kasta met itti kuna ni Papa ken Mama iddi mang-rugi ak nga agtayab rumuwar idiay balay mi. My turn to know how it felt then for them.

By the way, he was accepted to go.

This was James then with Papa and Mama


This is James Now (taken in Beijing, China last summer)



No comments:

Post a Comment