Sunday, January 25, 2009

Food Trip 2

Some of the best places that served me gourmet food were totally unheard of or non descript. Here goes:
a) Munoz Market palengke - this market specifically due to proximity to Proj. 8. My sister would say nakakadiri to death to eat in a palengke. I say, otherwise. The palengke in the morning is a site and a smell to behold. Adda idiay amin nga angotten - from ginisa na bawang to the smell of ripe fruits and to the garbage. The ube for the halo-halo have just been piled up right beside the leche flan while the "kanin" to go with the menudo or dinuguan is steaming hot.
b) Estero in Chinatown - the place then to go for authentic chinese food. From the Estero, lakad ng kaunti to Salazar Bakery for the real hopia to die for. BTW, iba rin yong hopia sa Quiapo close to the ilalim ng tulay. Masarap din yon.
c) Bulalohan sa San Andres - This turo-turo is actually where the tsupers ng dyipni plying Herran - San Andres route make their istasyon. Ang init ng sabaw and may "utak" pa yong buto ng baka. This was my route then from PGH to the terminal ng jeep going home to Proj.8.
d) Carinderia ng DBP - This is where Jim would take me for lunch then ( kasal na kami kasi noon. Noong hindi pa, pwede pa kaming kumain sa main Cafeteria ng DBP) - Jim used to work at the Development Bank of The Phil. at Makati kaya we had these Makati lunches sometimes. There was also a "Manang" to all of the employees there who can prepare those calderos of good meals for these frugal employees (read: kuripot).

Aside from these "exclusive" spots, marami ring mga "chefs" who would be willing to deliver exotic food at an affordable price. What can I say - yong mga plastic supot na kanin with ulam together with yong naka-plastic din na coke na delivered right on your table sa upisina. We had a "Lucy" then sa Veterans' Hospital who would come in few minutes before lunchtime with our laing or whatever she prepared for lunch.
I considered everything I ate in these places as my version of comfort food. These bring me comfort to my tummy as well as comfort to my pocket book.

No comments:

Post a Comment