Thursday, December 4, 2008

Thursday Afternoon

Let me digress from my regular "reminiscing" topic tonight and pass this story on to you. It might leave something - a thought perhaps- for you all to ponder on.
I see a lot of disabled children in the clinic. Such diagnoses of Down's Syndrome, cerebral palsy or paralysis are very common in my practise.
I saw my regular 1:00pm appointment today. A normal site - cries, slobbers, and running noses. After the session, both parents asked me if I could do them a favor - if I could bring some food stuff to the Catholic Church food pantry. I of course obliged.
I was totally floored when I saw the boxes of canned goods, cereals and noodles that they were turning over. The father is a driver for Pizza Hut. He is an Environmental Science graduate but is unable to find a job. Mother is a teacher but has to stay at home post partum. The Missouri state has given them food stamps to get by.
They have more than enough food and some of the food stamps are about ready to expire. The couple opted to spend the food stamps for food and in turn requested me to hand over these groceries to the church.
These family can just go ahead and keep the food - for these are meant for them anyway. But they opted to share the wealth around. If that was me - my initial thought would be to fill up my freezer (which is groaning with food). I would be thinking of myself and my family - when I know we have more than enough to last us.
Moral of the story - mayroon pa ring mababait na tao sa mundo. Mayroon pa ring mga tao who would think of others and not just have the world revolve around them.
I have no intention to preach nor to make you all feel I am just as good as these couple are. No - all I want to say is - at uulitin ko - mayroon pa ring mabubuting tao.
P.S. Jinky - sabihin mo kay Migi - salamat.

No comments:

Post a Comment