Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The House At Abaggattan


This house sat along the main highway. The family of Uncle Ben & Auntie Espie together with my cousins lived in the second floor while a Chinese Ilocano family rented the groundfloor wherein they used half of the space for their living area and the rest as a sari-sari store. I still remember Yolang - the daughter. Marissa and I used to pair her off with Randolph.

Uncle Ben was a dentist and had a small clinic upstairs. He used to clean and fix our teeth during the summer vacations. Remember - there was no electricity then. All of his rementas together with his equipment were manually operated, I should say, foot operated. The speed of the drilling machine would depend on his mood. No makakankanta during the process ket medyo mabagal nga tumaray diay drill. What a slow painful process.
He later on suffered a stroke rendering him paralyzed on one side of his body. I saw him at the PGH Rehabilitation Medicine as a patient - me being his Physical Therapist.

No comments:

Post a Comment