Monday, October 20, 2008

Going Home



I grew up in Manila. However, Papa & Mama both have made it a point to bring us home to both Agno & Burgos.

Eventually, I looked forward to Aprils. This will be the time I will go home for my summer vacation. I remember riding the Pantranco then. The bus was equipped with a humongous opening on each aisle (how can i describe it) for all of the passengers to climb in. There was no need for any airconditioner. Andiyak malagip no nakaro ti tapok idi. The first stop(istasyon) will be Camiling, Tarlac. This place is noted for its tupig (amputang). Papa will cater to our whims for a coca-cola. Mama will insist on healthy food - hardboiled eggs (balon). The driver & the conductor will be taking their merienda while enjoying the blaring sound from the jukebox.
After a couple of announcements - " Dagidiay mapan umisbo ingkayon", the Pantranco rolls on. The towns of Mangatarem, Bugallon and Sual will be passed until we get to Alaminos. Up to now, I associate Alaminos with The longganiza. I still salivate when I recall the smell of these just fried longganizas.


Dona Petra Enrique SisonDon Angel Doctor Sison


Agno was the last destination of the Pantran. The ancestral home is settled right smack in the heart of Eskina. Idiay sangwatan ti balay kum-millo diay Pantran. No sumungadden, agsitaray dagiti ubbing ta kitaen da no assinno iti dimmateng nga naggapo Manila.
There was no electricity then so the lighting was thru Petromax & those bottles filled with gas with wicks at the end. There was no cold storage to store food. Leftovers were placed by nanay, my grandmother, in a wooden cabinet to be consumed on the next meal. I still remember how she called sugar - ripinado.
My father had eight brothers and a sister. We had a big extended family. Our reunions were always something to look forward to. These were usually held at Uncle Arning's - idiay igid ti ilog. Saan ko unay nga malagip no anya iti sagana. I was always busy playing with my cousins.


No comments:

Post a Comment