Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Burgos


My mother too came from a big family. I also have quite a number of cousins on this side of Pangasinan.

The only difference is, I am the oldest grandchild on the Rosete with 2 or 3 cousins of my age; while the Sison cousins are a lot. Bottom line - PLAYMATES. The ancestral home in Burgos is relatively quiet in comparison to the Eskina abode. Lolo Eduardo & Lola Juliana together with Lolo Inggo & Lola Amalia lived in this house.
What do I remember most? The numerous turkeys that they raise. We would all chase these turkeys & listen to the loud "chuckling " sound they made. Lolo & Lola lived in the amianan part while Auntie Espie, mama's sister, lived in the abagatannen side. It would be a minutes' walk to cousin Marissa's house to be able to play with her.
Edward, my other cousin, would complete the group. the three of us- Marissa, Edward & I would be the best of friends during that summer. Take note though - these two cousins have the looks. Marissa is pretty; she was a beauty queen in her younger days just like her mother. Edward, on the other hand, took after his father - Uncle Teofilo-a handsome man. My lola Juliana had their college graduation pictures hanging in the living room of the ancestral home. I can not compete for space in that matter (chuckle like the turkey).
Lolo Eduardo used to roll his own cigarettes. He had a tin can full of dried tobacco leaves together with loose rolling papers. He would enjoy enhaling the pungent smoke while carrying out an intelligent conversation.
The Rosete family from Burgos was not as big in number compared to the Sisons from Agno. I did have fewer playmates then. But I guess the Manang in me was very much cultivated - being the oldest among the grandchildren. I would like to think that my cousins consider me as a source - the linking pin to keep the spirit alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment