Saturday, February 26, 2011

Acupuncture: An Alternative

Western medicine is centered on pill subscription. For every ailment and pain, there is usually a corresponding prescription of medicine that is given. A tablet for back pain, a different medicine for swelling, and another one for whatever.
I have been diagnosed by Western medicine with sacro-iliac joint syndrome - one of those back pains. A dose of Alleve everyday is normal for me coupled with application of the transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulator. There has been no relief. All I get is temporary masking of the pain.
I decided to try acupuncture. I had an initial treatment two years ago. There was relief on my (L) lower back but the (R) side persisted. It was hell going back to the US sitting it out on those prolonged flights.
My brother practises acupuncture as a form of alternative medicine. I was a willing victim. What can I say? I just finished my fourth session. It was not the best sensation with needles pricking me. I am still with pain. However the intensity has markedly been reduced especially on my (R) side. I am able to tolerate some prolonged walking and standing without necessarily complaining of radiating pains on my low back and legs.
I have not taken any medications so far (except those amoebiasis days). I still have two more sessions to go before I go home. I will not be pain free most probably since the pain will recur once I am back home. A change of lifestyle could be the answer. RETIRE!!!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment