Sunday, March 1, 2009

It's Nature's Way

It's Nature's Way of Telling You... Something's Wrong... It's Nature's Way Of Telling You... In A Song...


Those are the opening lines from a song sung by the group Spirit, song entitled It's Nature's Way. How apt for the experience I had yesterday.
I have to be at work yesterday morning Saturday (urgh). Everything was fine and dandy - it was just cold. I was on my way back home by 10 AM imagining what to cook for lunch. The snow came falling down slowly.

Road ConditionRoad Condition


The road was still alright though my speed was slowly coming down. We drivers were making sure we are maintaining adequate distance in case of.
Ahead of me were a couple of inclines I have to manuever. I slowly made my way up. The first hill was easy as pie. As I started on my second climb, my car, at 35 miles per hour, swerved (more than slid ) to the left, of which I slowly corrected, then turned to the right.

Road ConditionsRoad Condition


This time the turns were getting sharp - more than fishtailing. Remember I was going up the hill? I never made it. I almost hit the guardrail to my right and eventually landed on the ditch - which was the safest thing that could ever happened.
There was no let up with the snow and it was slowly turning into a blizzard. Traffic was thinning out. Jim attempted to come and get me but the traffic southbound to get to me was blocked by a 2 trailers that slid off the road. Traffic northbound was also stopped miles away most probably by the same reason.
I made sure my cellphone was comepletely charged and I tried my best to conserve heat turning on my car heat and motor as needed.
My nerves were getting frazzeled for I have no control of the situation. By this time, after an hour and a half, no cars were passing in both directions. I started to get panicky. My battery just died. I don't have anymore heat inside my car and my emergency lights will not blink anymore.
When everything just seems out of hand, a Missouri Highway Patrol car was slowly making its way up the hill. I got out of the car and flagged him down. He indeed confirmed that roads were blocked. I did not ask which part of the road he came from.

Road ConditionTow Truck

He dropped me off to the nearest convenience store 7 miles away. I stayed there until the tow truck came and Jim finally made it through.


No comments:

Post a Comment