Monday, February 9, 2009

Pre-Valentine's -1

We were still in Manila then and maybe married for roughly 3 years. Jim is a strange creature when demonstration of emotions are concerned. He considers giving flowers as poor investment for these wilt (the accountant in him).
One Valentine's day - I called him several times at the DBP office giving him updates of how many of my male friends have sent roses to their wives or girlfriends. My description was very vivid - kilig to death ang mga girls while the boys had their shot to five minutes of fame.
Siguro naka - five calls ak. I figured that should be enough to rub the obvious message to him.
I arrived early at home and secretly waited for my roses. He came home at around 7pm lugging behind his attache case and surprise surprise (kuno) he handed me half a dozen roses. That was the thrill of my life.
I played coy & demurred - " you shouldn't have..." Reply - " No - I did not buy the flowers. These were the leftovers from the secretaries' pool." The roses were donated by one of the managers intended for their secretaries.
My world came crashing down. My fairytale madness ended. No mabalin itti ag-isubli itti "lakay" that day - in a hearbeat - return the damaged goods.

No comments:

Post a Comment