Monday, December 15, 2008

Simbang Gabi

Some of the best memories of Pasko sa Pilipinas is the onset of the 9 day Dawn Novena Mass. Manang Lilia will be my constant companion. She is very diligent at waking up very early so we can have at least a seat when we get to church. As I look back, the weather then was balmy compared to what we are having right now here in Missouri.
The church at Proj. 8 was equipped with a terrific choir. I enjoyed most the solemnity of " Ang Gabing Tahimik" which is the Tagalog version of Silent Night. Maka-tuglep ka nga talaga itti pinagkanta da. Of course the parish priest was ever ready with his sermons and admonitions of preparation for the big day. I just don't know how effective it was for I am pretty sure most if not all of the parishioners were mentally shopping for gifts at Shoemart.
How about some puto bumbong or bibingka? I used to just see these staples during the simbang gabi. However, because of demand most probably, magatang mo met dagitoy idiay basement itti Shoemart or other eatery places. Madismaya ak met since I feel that some of the Christmas Magic is taken away from me.
It is always a nice feeling to anticipate and look forward to the special effects of the holidays.
I used to equate puto bumbong with Misa De Gallo and Pasko. But in this age of innovation, age of instant gratification, it became very easy to produce these staples. Nawawala ang magic - in my opinion.

I don't do my mental shopping so much anymore while I am seated listening to the homily. I kinda enjoy taking it in - absorbing what the priest might say ( muni-muni ika nga). Siguro ito naman ang panibagong magic sa aking buhay. Siguro I've just gone past the stage of obligated gift giving (read - siguro dahil sa broke ayaw lang umamin).
Siguro talagang ganoon - one goes back to the basic necessities of life- lessons handed down from generation i.e. church readings na inuulit taon-taon but is always given a different interpretation which could be more apt to the present time. I am very sure the nuns of Maryknoll will be mighty proud of me if they get the chance to read this. One way or the other, remnants of the religious teachings of Sister Miriam Thomas stayed with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment