Wednesday, November 12, 2008

SHINE


As far as I remember, there was always a leg of ham nga nakabitin idiay kusina da lolo Inocencio at Serrano Laktaw. He could have been a stockholder of the great Excelente Ham at Quiapo for I swear- there was always ham in that household. Gayam - this was a gift from the Intsiks as a sign of gratitude for the help that lolo gave them. He was a lawyer & was then working for the Immigration & Deportation in Manila.

Just like Lola Guillerma (Columbus), Lolo Inocencio's panayod was Shine - Ino-shine-cio or maybe because he had that slick white hair look that shone especially when hit by the sun. His personality was very contagious; he had a good singing voice and had a biting sense of humor. Apay Lining (Manang Lining, the ever loyal kadwa da Auntie Aida) addo itti asin tayo anya.. saan met lolo sungbat ni Manang Lining apay aya? Ngamin na-apgad daytoy dinengdeng mo. That would have earned him less pogi points from me but adda kasta nga klase nga humor itti Rosete talaga ( I probably would earn the garrote kill for that statement). I can imagine that same comment from lolo Eduardo and no less from my mother (okay.. that did it ).
His everyday outfit was an Americana - a suit matched with those white derby shoes. He rode the bus to work and in the afternoon, sumardeng idiay Quiapo nga ag-palengke. No airs - he just enjoyed this chore.
He suffered a stroke when he got older. Auntie Aida requested me to come over and help him out. I willingly obliged and was religiously at Serrano Laktaw for Physical Therapy sessions with Lolo Inocencio. It was not at all smooth sailing between the two of us. I could barely make him follow my instructions - di na kayat itti ag-exercise wenno magna or ag-tugaw. The professional relationship between a PT and a patient was totally thrown out of the window - Madam ngarud itti awag na kanyak (there goes that biting humor again). Saan ko met mabalin nga ungtan ni Lolo - lolo ngarud.
I eventually recommended a colleague to come and see him. My friend most probably brought home a leg of ham or two during the whole duration of PT treatment. I missed on that one for sure.


No comments:

Post a Comment