Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Lolo Inggo

He used to scare me. His big figure slouched near the dining area one elbow propped to the elevated step to support him. His domain was the dining area. He seemed to be the guard who would have the discretion to let you through.

He has a stubble on his chin. He has a pipe and he constantly slobbered. It was not easy for me to kiss his hand (agmano) for like I said, he scared me. My mother had to carry my brother, Erich, for he too was scared of him. Lolo Inggo had cerebral palsy. " Berto, ayan na iti relo". That was his constant question everytime he saw my father. Papa would willingly oblige and give him either a wristwatch or a lighter. Lolo Inggo can't tell the time but just the same he was happy to have a wristwatch.
His lower legs have atrophied due to disuse. He literally crawled across the room. SInce this was too hard for him, he stayed in one spot. He had to be fed by Lola Amalia. He didnot have the use of his hands for fine motor skills. Everybody was on his beck and call.
As I got used to him, the fear disappeared. Instead I would eagerly anticipate his loud voice to ask for his cigarettes. He whined and complained when not attended to. He can even curse. Maybe it was the commanding tone in his voice that overpowered his helplessness.
His disability did not stop him to put his own stamp of power in that household.

No comments:

Post a Comment